How to create an floating device in Xorg input driver?

Park Sung-Jin input.hacker at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 01:42:08 PDT 2010

Hi,

Is there any one who knows how to create floting device in Xorg input driver ?

I'm writing an Xorg multitouch driver based on
xf86-input-evdev-multitouch driver.
In the driver, sub devices for multiple fingers will be created using
NewInputDeviceReuqest()
and will be removed using DeleteInputDeviceRequest().
If a device property was set by multitouch daemon application, the sub
devices will be created newly and will be removed.
For example, commands for doing that are : # multitouchctl 3
If the sub devices are created, then multitouch daemon gets a
XI_HierarchyChanged event, and set them as floating slaves
using XIChangeHierarchy() function.

What I want to do is creating the sub devices as floating slaves in
evdev-multitouch driver.
Is there any one who knows how to create floting device in Xorg input driver ?

Thanks,
Sung-Jin Park