How to create an floating device in Xorg input driver?

Benjamin Tissoires tissoire at cena.fr
Thu Oct 28 04:52:11 PDT 2010

Hi,

If I understand correctly, you are trying to work with the patches I
submitted, nearly a year ago.

First, I would just say that the work concerning this branch of evdev is
not maintained as it has a lot of problems (limit of the maximum count
of contact, etc).

Multitouch will be available with XInput 2.1.

My first Idea was to create floating devices, but I encountered a bug I
did not have the time to patch. If the driver creates a floating device,
and you attach this device to a master one, I had trouble transferring
the events. That's why I did not created floating devices.

BTW, if want to give it a test, you can just uncomment the line:

EvdevReplaceOption(input_options, "SendCoreEvents","off");

before calling NewInputDeviceRequest.

Cheers,
Benjamin