helping organize x.org documentation

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri May 28 08:25:13 PDT 2010

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 9:34 PM, Peter Hutterer
<peter.hutterer at who-t.net> wrote:
> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 03:23:32AM +0300, Oliver McFadden wrote:
>> On Fri, 2010-05-28 at 01:55 +0200, ext Tiago Vignatti wrote:
>> > Matt,

>> > I guess you can remove "XOrg" from the top and let only the logo there.
>> >
>> > Another issue to worry about is regarding the wiki engine. Is MoinMoin
>> > good enough for us? I'm totally dumb regarding these technologies but we
>> > should choose one easily to upgrade, maintain, customize, etc.
>>
>> (I'm just jumping into the middle of the conversation, so my apologies
>> if I have missed something.)
>>
>> It's been a long time since I've looked at wiki software, but I remember
>> the search engines being terrible except on MediaWiki.
>>
>> MediaWiki also has a lot of cool features, is well maintained
>> (Wikipedia...), and has support for 3rd party extensions:
>> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:AllPages/Extension: (unorganized
>> list, but you get the idea.)
>
> We've had this discussion a few times already. Bottom line is - the wiki
> engine can be perfect but if the content is crap the wiki is worthless.
> I can see how setting up a new wiki would be more exciting than polishing
> the existing content into shape, but that doesn't really address the issue.

Definitely. Why don't we start with parts of Matt's demo that would be
good to move to the x.org wiki. I personally like the sidebar of links
on the frontpage. That would make navigating the information a _lot_
easier in my mind. Could we try to get that on the x.org wiki and then
haggle about what the right content to link to is?

--
Dan