Nomination branch policy clarification

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Fri Oct 2 20:15:26 PDT 2009

I just pushed a patch directly into master to cherry-pick into the
nominations branch, but I then realized that we're not supposed to
actually be pushing to master, we're supposed to be pushing to feature
branches... so these two policies seem to be in a bit of conflict:

1) Push to master then cherry-pick into nominations
2) Don't push to master, push to feature branches instead.

Was I wrong in pushing those small 1 line patch to master?

Are feature branches for *everything* and master is *just* a bunch of
merges, or can we still commit "small stuff" to master?

 From the discussions, I assume this is the ideal path a patch should
take to get into a 1.7.x release:

commit to feature branch "apple"
merge "apple" to "master"
cherry pick fix from master into server-1.7-nominations branch
merge server-1.7-nominations branch into server-1.7-branch

Is that right?  What about cases where "apple" is not yet ready to
merge into master but we need a patch in 1.7.x?  Should we just cherry-
pick from the feature branch directly into the nominations branch?