Please revert Xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Florian Mickler florian at mickler.org
Mon Mar 30 13:42:49 PDT 2009

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 15:38:38 -0400
Gerry Reno <greno at verizon.net> wrote:

> Users killing their X server with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is not by any
> means a rare occurence.  We all wish it were.  And in the total tens
> of millions of worldwide installations, the use for that purpose, far
> outweighs any usage among the tiny Emac user community.   And
> further, the impact to making such a change becomes an entire
> worldwide problem. If Emacs users have a problem with a keystroke
> conflict then they need to create special xorg.conf files that
> eliminate that conflict for them.  And not expect the entire world to
> have to put up with a hugely disruptive change all for the benefit of
> one small community.
>

> Regards,
> Gerry

In germany, there's a word for a 'motorist driving against
the traffic on motorways'. it's called ''geisterfahrer''.

the typical geisterfahrer relizes soon, that he has taken the wrong slip
road. unlike the typical geisterfahrer, you don't seem to realize that
it isn't them, that are driving on the wrong side of the motorway, but
you.

i for one, have lost data myself once, because i searched for a
key-kombo in some program or game... (no, it was not emacs ... and yes i
knew that that combination is killing X, but my finger tried without the
brain thinking... ctrl-alt+ 7,8,9,0,-,=,ups)

i understand your concerns, i too have also recently needed to
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace X and it was not working, but i'm sure as hell glad
that it is, like it is now.

Sincerely,
Florian