Please revert Xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Mon Mar 30 12:38:38 PDT 2009

Patrick O'Donnell wrote:
> Here's a complaint: in over thirty years of working with systems of a
> large variety of types, system-level tools usurping useful
> single-gesture affordances (C-A-BS among them) for relatively rare
> uses has caused me problems everywhere.

Users killing their X server with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is not by any means
a rare occurence.  We all wish it were.  And in the total tens of
millions of worldwide installations, the use for that purpose, far
outweighs any usage among the tiny Emac user community.   And further,
the impact to making such a change becomes an entire worldwide problem.
If Emacs users have a problem with a keystroke conflict then they need
to create special xorg.conf files that eliminate that conflict for
them.  And not expect the entire world to have to put up with a hugely
disruptive change all for the benefit of one small community.

Regards,
Gerry