Please revert Xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Mon Mar 30 20:49:32 PDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 03:38:38PM -0400, Gerry Reno wrote:
> Users killing their X server with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is not by any means
> a rare occurence.  We all wish it were.  And in the total tens of
> millions of worldwide installations, the use for that purpose, far
> outweighs any usage among the tiny Emac user community.   And further,
> the impact to making such a change becomes an entire worldwide problem.
> If Emacs users have a problem with a keystroke conflict then they need
> to create special xorg.conf files that eliminate that conflict for
> them.  And not expect the entire world to have to put up with a hugely
> disruptive change all for the benefit of one small community.

For the nine millionth time, it has nothing to do with Emacs.

Here's what it comes down to:
  you want the default to be optimised for the X server locking up or
  crashing in such a way that it needs to be force-killed, knowing
  that most of the people who make use of that are perfectly capable
  of creating a configuration file; whereas the people who don't know
  what it is or does or how to create a configuration file, have to
  create a configuration file.

No.

EOT.