Idea: When users press Ctrl+Alt+Bksp, tell them the new way?to kill Xorg

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Fri Dec 4 14:31:04 PST 2009

On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 04:55:08PM +0000, Jason Spiro wrote:
> Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer at ...> writes:
> > > [...]
> > > What do you think of my idea?
> >

> http://ryanler.wordpress.com/2009/06/11/controlaltbackspace-shortcut-does-not-restart-the-x-server-in-fedora-11/
>
> Peter, that was a mighty concise response.  Did you mean to say, "People will
> Google and find out the answer"?

no. your question was "What do you think of my idea?" after suggesting a
message displaying instructions for VT switching and then killing the
server.

the feature to zap is readily available and Ryan even went through the
effort of putting up screenshots and labeling them where to click to enable
this feature. IMO this is better than displaying a message about VT
switching - which has some other issues as Alan pointed out.

We've already admitted that the change wasn't communicated well enough, so
having a short answer with a link to the howto may just help the next person
googling for it.

Cheers,
  Peter