Idea: When users press Ctrl+Alt+Bksp, tell them the new way to kill Xorg

Jason Spiro jasonspiro4+gmane at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 15:00:56 PST 2009

Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer at ...> writes:
> [...]
> the feature to zap is readily available and Ryan even went through the
> effort of putting up screenshots and labeling them where to click to enable
> this feature. IMO this is better than displaying a message about VT
> switching

The reason that zapping was disabled by default is because it's too easy for
some users to zap by accident.  Instead of telling users how to re-enable
zapping, which will let them to zap by accident in the future, we should tell
them how to switch VTs and then kill X from the command line.

> - which has some other issues as Alan pointed out.

Yes, Alan raised a good issue earlier.  I propose the following solution.  The
xmessage should say:

"To shut down the X Window System, click the Shut Down (or similar) button or
menu option on your screen.  If that doesn't work, press Ctrl+Alt+F1, log in as
root, then enter the following line:

pkill -n X ; sleep 5s ; pkill -9 -n X"

> We've already admitted that the change wasn't communicated well enough, so
> having a short answer with a link to the howto may just help the next person
> googling for it.

Do you mean that Xorg should show an xmessage with a link to an appropriate
instructional webpage?  That would work too.  But it's hard to start a web
browser to view the link if, say, your mouse doesn't work.  So I think showing
an xmessage with pkill instructions would be better.

Kind regards,
-Jason