Data on xorg module releases

Thu Aug 6 16:22:15 PDT 2009

To help prepare for the upcoming X11R7.5 katamari, I've started
collecting data on the modules we've released.   Previously this
has been manually kept in the wiki on the release pages and pages
like http://www.x.org/wiki/Releases/ModuleVersions but I'd like
to get this more automated so we can spend less time updating those
and less time answering questions about which versions are current
or in a certain katamari.

I've made a first pass mining the mailing list archives and tarball
archives, and put the data gathered in a YAML file at:
   http://people.freedesktop.org/~alanc/xorg-releases.yaml.txt

(YAML just because it required only adding one line to my perl script
 to dump and resulted in something both human readable and machine
 parseable - long term it should move to a better data format and a
 human friendly web front-end, but since I'm about to go offline for
 4 days, I figured I'd share what I had so far.)

Any suggestions for other data we would want to include or
presentation formats or other uses for this data are welcome, as
is code to implement any of them, but the first task will be to
figure out what's going into the 7.5 katamari.

Caveats:
 - None of this data has been validated or verified, or even all
   read (it is 700k of text).
 - it is alphabetic sort, so 1.10 comes before 1.2, and thus
   isn't in strict version order.

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com