Data on xorg module releases

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Thu Aug 6 23:37:36 PDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 04:22:15PM -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> To help prepare for the upcoming X11R7.5 katamari, I've started
> collecting data on the modules we've released.   Previously this
> has been manually kept in the wiki on the release pages and pages
> like http://www.x.org/wiki/Releases/ModuleVersions but I'd like
> to get this more automated so we can spend less time updating those
> and less time answering questions about which versions are current
> or in a certain katamari.
>
> I've made a first pass mining the mailing list archives and tarball
> archives, and put the data gathered in a YAML file at:
>    http://people.freedesktop.org/~alanc/xorg-releases.yaml.txt
>
> (YAML just because it required only adding one line to my perl script
>  to dump and resulted in something both human readable and machine
>  parseable - long term it should move to a better data format and a
>  human friendly web front-end, but since I'm about to go offline for
>  4 days, I figured I'd share what I had so far.)
>
> Any suggestions for other data we would want to include or
> presentation formats or other uses for this data are welcome, as
> is code to implement any of them, but the first task will be to
> figure out what's going into the 7.5 katamari.
>
> Caveats:
>  - None of this data has been validated or verified, or even all
>    read (it is 700k of text).
>  - it is alphabetic sort, so 1.10 comes before 1.2, and thus
>    isn't in strict version order.

Thanks, this will be quite useful.

I've just pushed a supermodule to people.fdo.
It includes all modules listed for X11R7.4, checked out at the right commit.
So you can get X11R7.4 by running:

    git clone git://people.freedesktop.org/~whot/X11R7.5.git
    cd X11R7.5
    git submodule init
    git submodule update

In addition to the modules there's an "extras" directory (containing mesa,
pixman and xcb). These need to be installed as well to get a successful
build.

Theory goes that we can now add/remove/update modules as we go along and git
will then tell us which modules need to be part of 7.5. Including making it
a lot easier to actually test on various systems.

I'll have a go at the yaml data next week and see if I can hook it up to git
submodule so it updates modules to the current state.

Cheers,
  Peter