Top-most windows

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Jan 9 18:04:18 PST 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 13:00 -0800, Deron Johnson wrote:

> The grab/raise/ungrab paradigm seems like a bad long term strategy to
> me. Just give me a window to which the composite manager can draw
> without interfering with other X11 clients, who are drawing to
> off-screen memory anyway.

We have one, it's called the root. We're just here trying to find a
kludge-around to make GL happy. Core X and Render based compositing
managers function perfectly well using the root window for output.

You also don't *need* to grab the server for the metacity-ish kludge to
work, you can detect when a newly raised and mapped overrideredirect
window has accidentally obscured your output during a frame and repaint
the damage quite easily, so the grab is only a simplifying mechanism.

-keith