Top-most windows

Deron Johnson Deron.Johnson at Sun.COM
Tue Jan 10 09:44:02 PST 2006

Keith Packard wrote On 01/09/06 18:04,:
> On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 13:00 -0800, Deron Johnson wrote:
>

>>The grab/raise/ungrab paradigm seems like a bad long term strategy to
>>me. Just give me a window to which the composite manager can draw
>>without interfering with other X11 clients, who are drawing to
>>off-screen memory anyway.
>

> We have one, it's called the root. We're just here trying to find a
> kludge-around to make GL happy. Core X and Render based compositing
> managers function perfectly well using the root window for output.

Unfortunately, even though the rendering to the composited windows is
going into an off-screen buffer, the DDX is rendering their DIDs
as if they were on the screen. Artifact city.

> You also don't *need* to grab the server for the metacity-ish kludge to
> work, you can detect when a newly raised and mapped overrideredirect
> window has accidentally obscured your output during a frame and repaint
> the damage quite easily, so the grab is only a simplifying mechanism.

But then you have brief periods of time when these windows are visible.
It's going to look pretty awful with various windows popping up at
odd locations and then disappearing.