XKBCONFIG extension: RFP?

Sergey Udaltsov sergey.udaltsov at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 19:09:46 PDT 2005

> Does it do everything you need without any idea where the XKB
> config files for a particular server are on disk or what format
> they may be in or even what server is being run?   If so, I'm happy.
Yes it is so. I thought about all cases where I used libxkbfile
directly (and non-documented implementation-specific details like root
window properties) - and tried to come with something semantically
holistic which would cover these cases without even mentioning the
word "file". Sure, the server-side implementation would work with
files (potentially some parts of libxklavier could be used).

> If it works without me having to explain multiple times per day
> that "Cannot load XKB configuration, probably internal server error"
> is not an indication of an X server bug, but a broken GNOME app
> trying to read the config files for the wrong server, then I'm
> overjoyed.
Well, this is not about extension itself - this is about servers and
their usage. Actually, it is separate question - what GNOME would do
if he does not find XKBCONFIG extension on the server... So noone
could make promises here at this point.

Thanks for you comments,

Sergey