XKBCONFIG extension: RFP?

Fri Apr 22 15:32:52 PDT 2005

Sergey Udaltsov wrote:
> So, I would appreciate comments on this idea. Especially I'd be
> grateful to get the critics from Alan.

(The details are far more about XKB configurations than I know
  or want to know.   I've got nothing to say about them.)

Does it do everything you need without any idea where the XKB
config files for a particular server are on disk or what format
they may be in or even what server is being run?   If so, I'm happy.

If it works without me having to explain multiple times per day
that "Cannot load XKB configuration, probably internal server error"
is not an indication of an X server bug, but a broken GNOME app
trying to read the config files for the wrong server, then I'm
overjoyed.

Our silly users expect to be able to use either the Xsun or Xorg
servers we supply, or Xvnc or display to a remote non-Sun system
or even third party X servers like XiG, and amazingly they want it
to work as it always has before GNOME tried getting too deep into
the X server's private keyboard configurations.

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com