issues and merge requests

Olivier Fourdan ofourdan at redhat.com
Wed Feb 7 11:20:31 UTC 2024

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 7, 2024 at 11:47 AM Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult <
info at metux.net> wrote:

> On 07.02.24 00:59, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> >> Closes: xorg/xserver#1631
> >
> > It supports that too, but afaik the use of Fixes is more common in the
> > xorg repo. In (some?) gnome OTOH repos Closes refers to an issue anf
> > Fixes usually to a commit.
>
> Okay, so settle to "Fixes:" ?

As Peter explained, "Fixes" refers to a commit in particular (like a
regression was introduced, then fixed with a later commit, that later
commit "fixes" the first commit) - That is useful for example when
backporting between branches, because those can be squashed together, if
caught on time before the first commit gets backported.
e.g.: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/-/commit/133e0d6

"Closes" refers to the issue in gitlab that that particular commit
addresses:
e.g.: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/-/commit/e622466

Also, please note that both can be used in the same commit:
e.g.: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/-/commit/3ddb81b

Perhaps it's time to write some little document about that.

> We already have some things in the Wiki, but seems to be a bit outdated.
> I'd prefer having such docs within the source tree.
>
> >> By the way: how to do we handle fixes that might go to several branches
> ?
> >
> > merge it into master, then `git cherry-pick -x` to the branch, file a
> > merge request for that particular branch. The gitlab closed merge
> > request page will have examples of those, usually prefixed with the
> > branch they're supposed to be merged in to make them easier to identify.
>
> Yes, that's the technical side, but I've been wondering about a formal
> process on how to decide which stuff should be backported, especially
> for bugfixes. Some projects (e.g. Linux kernel) extract them (semi-)
> automatically by git headers.
>
> Or maybe have some tags that one can set if one *thinks* something
> might be worth backporting (or moving to another branch like Xwayland),
> so the corresponding maintainer could be notified and decide on his
> own ?

Just a note to clarify, xwayland is just like any other stable branch of
the xserver, fixes are not /moved/ to xwayland, they get merged first into
master and then get backported into the stable xwayland branch(es) as
necessary.

This is something I do on a regular basis as a maintainer of Xwayland, it's
a manual process indeed.

Cheers,
Olivier