issues and merge requests

Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult info at metux.net
Thu Feb 8 14:27:16 UTC 2024

On 07.02.24 12:20, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> As Peter explained, "Fixes" refers to a commit in particular (like a
> regression was introduced, then fixed with a later commit, that later
> commit "fixes" the first commit) - That is useful for example when
> backporting between branches, because those can be squashed together, if
> caught on time before the first commit gets backported.
> e.g.: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/-/commit/133e0d6
> <https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/-/commit/133e0d6>
>
> "Closes" refers to the issue in gitlab that that particular commit
> addresses:
> e.g.: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/-/commit/e622466
> <https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/-/commit/e622466>
>
> Also, please note that both can be used in the same commit:
> e.g.: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/-/commit/3ddb81b
> <https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/-/commit/3ddb81b>

thanks, fixed the contributing.md (mr #1276)

>     Or maybe have some tags that one can set if one *thinks* something
>     might be worth backporting (or moving to another branch like Xwayland),
>     so the corresponding maintainer could be notified and decide on his
>     own ?
>
> Just a note to clarify, xwayland is just like any other stable branch of
> the xserver, fixes are not /moved/ to xwayland, they get merged first
> into master and then get backported into the stable xwayland branch(es)
> as necessary.

That's what I meant by "moving" (in best case cherry-pick), maybe my
wording wasn't precise enought ;-)

> This is something I do on a regular basis as a maintainer of Xwayland,
> it's a manual process indeed.

Ok. How do you learn of potentially interesting commits ? Do you monitor
everything happening on master or shall we CC you, if we think something
should also land in xwayland ?

--mtx

--
---
Hinweis: unverschlüsselte E-Mails können leicht abgehört und manipuliert