Have X always display only on VGA output?

Sandeep sandy.8925 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 21:37:54 PST 2013

My laptop is broken, so I can't use it normally - I cannot use it in the
normal opened position. I have connected it to a LCD monitor through a VGA
cable (DE-15 connector - this thing -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Male_VGA_connector.jpg ) . The laptop is
kept closed.

I am using Arch Linux, with all of the latest packages. I use KDM as a
display manager, and the KDE desktop environment.

When I start up the laptop and it goes through the whole bootup process, it
finally lands up at the KDM login screen. This is shown only on the
laptop's LCD panel (LVDS output). In KDE, I was able to use the Display
settings widget to have KDE display only on the external monitor.

So, once I log in with my password, KDE correctly displays on the external
monitor and all is good. However, the KDM login screen is only shown on the
laptop screen (which I cannot see). I want KDM login screen to show up on
the external monitor as well. Also, it would be nice to have this work
regardless pf which login/display manager and desktop environment I use.

So, I want to configure X so that the picture is always shown on the
external monitor. Does anyone know how I can do this?

I have tried searching online for instructions about xorg.conf
configuration files, but I cannot find anything recent  or relevant. Most
instructions are confusing and unclear.

Thanks,
Sandeep