Digitizer support

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue May 21 04:12:53 UTC 2024

On Mon, May 20, 2024 at 09:16:01AM -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> The calcomp driver didn't stay supported for long after modularisation, and
> it certainly no longer builds, but it's still in the archive:
>
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-input-calcomp/-/tree/master
>
> I expect the build failures are mostly API drift, so if you have hardware
> that the driver would support, it ought to work as well as it ever did.
> Which, these days, might imply things like "you need to set it up with
> xorg.conf because neither the kernel nor libinput know it's there".

Best choice here is probably looking at the wacom w8001 kernel driver
drivers/input/touchscreen/wacom_w8001.c
which is an old wacom driver for serial tablets. That driver is loaded
via systemd + udev, thus presents an evdev node and the rest of
userspace is blissfully unaware of the fact that serial devices ever
existed.

grep for inputattach in the xf86-input-wacom repo and you'll find the
various pieces.

theory goes you should be able to look at the xf86-input-calcomp
sources, write something like the w8001 driver, then create a similar
kernel driver and thus be ready for the next millennium without having
to actually resurrect, update, maintain and configure an X input driver
that's been unmaintained for 15 years.

Cheers,
  Peter