Minimal required library that supports "XGetEventData"

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Wed Jul 27 00:54:33 UTC 2022

On 7/26/22 17:36, alexandre schenberg wrote:
> Hello. I am currently trying to build the Gtk library. Its configure has a test for "XGetEventData" that failed on my system with the message "configure: error: *** XInput2 extension not found". Looking for references on it on the internet, I got the impression that the Xi library is the one that should have that function on it. So I donwloaded, compiled and installed it. Then I passed it to configure , adding it to the end of LDFLAGS with:
>
> ....LDFLAGS="-L/media/34GB/Arquivos-de-Programas-Linux/xorg/X11-1.0.0/lib/ -L/media/34GB/Arquivos-de-Programas-Linux/xorg/Xext-1.0.0/lib/ -L/media/34GB/Arquivos-de-Programas-Linux/xorg/Xi-1.0.0/lib/"....
>
> However, nothing changed. That leads me to believe that are two possibilities: 1) It is not lib Xi that has the function "XGetEventData" on it, or 2)It should be lib Xi, but a newer version.
>
> So based on the above points I ask: Which library is the one that has the required function and which is the minimal required version that I should go after? Thanks for your time.

XGetEventData is provided by libX11 and was added in libX11 1.3:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib/libx11/-/commit/554f755e5545f63d3c8f299297927238da155773
https://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-announce/2009-October/001083.html

Of course, that was released in 2009, and we strongly recommend using
a much newer version than that to get security & reliability fixes made
since then.

         -Alan Coopersmith-                 alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
          Oracle Solaris Engineering - https://blogs.oracle.com/solaris