Something is keeping my X awake

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Thu Jul 21 20:00:43 UTC 2022

Hey there,

On my Thinkpad T490, something is keeping the display awake such
that XScreensaver will not lock the machine, and DPMS will never let
the screen turn off.

There are lots of suspects, with the trackpad, the nipple, and a
Lenovo wireless keyboard&mouse attached. However, even after I
unplug the wireless receiver, and disable the trackpad and nipple
with `xinput disable …`, the machine will *not* rest.

I've ruled out that this is a problem with XScreensaver. I mean,
maybe it is, but after I lock it manually, it just keeps
interrupting with the password prompt, as if e.g. the mouse was
moved or a key pressed.

At this stage I am wondering what tool there's availeble to me that
could shed some light on this. I've tried `xev`, but there are no
events whatsoever.

I'd appreciate any hints!!

Best,

--