R128 errors

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sun May 23 23:47:00 UTC 2021

On Sunday 23 May 2021 14:33:27 Chris Fisichella wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am coming off of a previous post where I had just a black screen.
> That has changed. I can now access my Xorg.0.log file. It is attached.

And it looks like it gave it the old college try.  And I don't see on a
32 bit system, any reason why the address reported as out of range in
the EE lines, should be out of range.

> If anyone who is familiar with the R128 driver can help debug what I
> need to do, I would appreciate it.
>
> The computer is a 32 bit machine. The video card is the ATI
> ALL-IN-WONDER 128 PRO. The operating system is Debian 10.9.0.

What I do get the impression of, is that you are doing battle with a
frankenstein card, something ati has been quite famous for in my now 20+
year old history, changing the card in the box, making it incompatible
with the published drivers for linux, without updateing a single crossed
t or dotted i on the box. Plain and simple it was not the card I bought
but the next production run. I yelled at ati, and was promised linux
drivers for that chipset would be announced in about 2 weeks. Never
happened, and I wasted almost $85 running out to buy it in about 1999.

At least the $29 nvidia card worked with the vesa driver. But that
experience taught me to not believe a thing Alex tells me. YMMV.

> The driver seems to be identifying the card okay. I don't know why it
> is still generating errors. Any ideas?
>
> Best Regards,
> Chris

Cheers, Gene Heskett