Suggestion for Xorg / about middle-mouse click pasting

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Thu Jul 30 06:06:46 UTC 2020

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 01:17:16AM +1000, Adam Nielsen wrote:
> > Say for example a user is writing a document, scrolling through it,
> > and accidentally pastes text without knowing it.
> > The pasted text might contain sensitive/private information.
> > The user submits the document somewhere, and people read it.
> > It's more likely than you think.
>
> For what it's worth, I have been scrolling through documents for decades
> and never once pasted anything by accident with the middle click.  It
> sounds like your mouse is faulty as every mouse I have ever used has
> required considerable effort to actuate the middle mouse button, to the
> point that I have once disassembled my mouse and replaced the
> microswitch in it for the mouse wheel to make it easier to press.

It's not *that* uncommon to have a mouse that middle-clicks while scrolling.
Don't ask me for model numbers but I've seen the odd bug report over the
years about it and it's not always a worn-out switch.

> > This isn't simply a matter of mouse scroll wheels that click too
> > easily. Laptop touchpads are known to paste accidentally too.
>
> I've also used a touchpad for a long time and never managed to get it
> to paste anything.  I didn't even know I could get it to emit a
> middle-click!

Three-finger tap and (depending on configuration) a click with three fingers
on the touchpad or a click in the middle button area on the bottom or a
click with left and right button (or in button areas) simultaneously.
The old synaptics driver defaulted to 2-finger tap being the middle click.

Cheers,
   Peter