X.org fails to start with "permission" issues, does not even try loading Intel driver

Mikhail Ramendik mr at ramendik.ru
Thu Jan 30 21:04:46 UTC 2020

Hello,

I have a ThinkPad P50 with a dual Intel/NVidia video, configured for Intel.

And in a RHEL engineering build, which has x.org server 1.20.6 in it,
fails to load X. Wayland sessions run just fine, but if I choose an X
session, it crashes.

I am attaching the log from such a crash. The key line seems to be:

modeset(0): drmSetMaster failed: Permission denied

I also wonder why modeset is the driver of choice at all, seeing as
this is an Intel chipset ant the i915 module is loaded. (So is
nouveau).

Fedora 29, with X.org server 1.20.4, works fine.

What can I investigate further, what can I try in order to perhaps
resolve this? Thanks!

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik