Why does X11 generate an extra SHIFT when I press Shift+KP_1 ?

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Wed Feb 19 06:00:17 UTC 2020

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 12:26:17AM +0530, Sreyan Chakravarty wrote:
> Yes Andreas, you are absolutely right.
> Thank you so much for your help. In my defense I never knew VirtualBox
> could stab you in the back like this. I guess you learn something new every
> day. I just wish I hadn't bothered all of you.

FTR, next time you see similar issues run libinput record against the
keyboard device node and that will tell you whether the weirdness comes from
the device itself (which would include virtual box in this case) or whether
it's on a higher level in the stack.

libinput record prints the events coming out of the kernel, so it can nicely
separate where an issue occurs. The output takes a little bit of getting
used to, but interpreting keyboard events is trivial enough.

Cheers,
   Peter