Cant set my xkb's xkeymap with xkbcomp

aprekates aprekates at posteo.net
Fri Dec 18 22:30:02 UTC 2020

On 17/12/20 5:50 π.μ., Peter Hutterer wrote:
> setxkbmap -print doesn't use the keymap directly as you'd expect. it uses
> the RMLVO properties, changing a keymap directly with xkbcomp isn't
> reflected in the setxkbmap output. so simply said: this is a false negative.
>
>> Why xkbcomp doest seem to work?
> check with xkbcomp -xkb $DISPLAY xkbmap.out and compare that file with the
> keymap before and after. where xkbcomp uploads the correct data and the
> server accepts everything, the file will reflect the changes you made.

Thanks.

I had seen in a webpage that with:

$ setxkbmap -print    i can see the '''current settings'''.
Also with setxkbmap i can change the current xkeymap used by XKB.

So i guess in my mind a strong connection was made that since with that
command i can change the mapping i can also see the current one!. But as
you said setxkbmap -print will show just a mapping from MLVO options to
a Ktcsg include commands.

Indeed with :  xkbcomp -xkb $DISPLAY xkbmap.out    i can see the changes
i've asked for.