Lost sliding windows w/ DVI Syncmaster monitor

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 13:24:33 UTC 2020

On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 4:03 PM Paul Rogers <paulgrogers at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> > I don't think it has anything to do with the Samsung or the Dell, but
> > rather with
> > however you are trying to configure. How exactly are you configuring?
>
> See attachment.  Or are you asking for the build options for the server?
>
>  >> Please show us your GPU specification, thus:
>
>  >>  # inxi -Gxx
>

> Graphics:
>   Device-1: NVIDIA GK208 [GeForce GT 635] driver: N/A bus ID: 01:00.0
>   chip ID: 10de:1280
>   Display: server: X.Org 1.18.4 driver: vesa resolution: 1024x768~N/A
>   OpenGL: renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.8 256 bits)
>   v: 3.3 Mesa 12.0.1 compat-v: 3.0 direct render: Yes

I'm not familiar with the vesa or nouveau drivers and whether or not
they support panning.  One thing you could try however is to
temporarily disable your xorg configs and enable panning dynamically
at runtime using xrandr just to see if you can get it working with
your hardware combination.  You'll need to use a real driver rather
than vesa since vesa can't resize the desktop dynamically at runtime.
Take a look at the xrandr man page.  You'll need to set the panning
option.  E.g.,
xrandr --output DVI-0 --panning ...

from the man page:
       --panning
widthxheight[+x+y[/track_widthxtrack_height+track_x+track_y[/border_left/border_top/border_right/border_bottom]]]
              This option sets the panning parameters.  As soon as
panning is enabled, the CRTC position can change with every  pointer
move.   The  first
              four  parameters  specify  the  total  panning area, the
next four the pointer tracking area (which defaults to the same area).
The last four
              parameters specify the border and default to 0. A width
or height set to zero disables panning on the according axis. You
typically  have  to
              set the screen size with --fb simultaneously.

I haven't played with panning in about 10 years so my memory is pretty
limited as to what is supported on what hardware.  Once drivers
started implementing xrandr 1.2 support, at lot of them dropped
panning support since even then it was not commonly used.

Alex