Using Intel GPU "TearFree" option changes my detected screens / edid information

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 16 02:53:13 UTC 2019

Seba Kerckhof composed on 2019-10-15 16:34 (UTC+0200):

> I was experiencing tearing on my Debian system. I read about the intel
> driver "TearFree" option and configured it as explained here:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_graphics#Tearing

> While it does seem to help with the tearing, it changes my detected
> screens. By this I mean if I run xrandr, my display ports have a different
> name and the detected screens have a different EDID (model/vendor),
> different resolutions etc.

You apparently weren't using the Intel DDX, but the (default) modesetting DDX. By
applying:

	/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

	Section "Device"
	  Identifier "Intel Graphics"
	  Driver "intel"
	  Option "TearFree" "true"
	EndSection

you switched to the Intel DDX, which uses a different naming convention. The
modesetting DDX's names work the same for Intel, AMD and NVidia GPUs.

Why vendor:model would change I have no idea.

The Intel DDX hasn't had an official release in over 4 years, while Intel's DDX
writers are significant contributors to the modesetting DDX. It seems as though
the Intel DDX is informally deprecated. I've been using it exclusively where
supported in spite of tearing (on Haswell), which doesn't really bother me.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/