xvfb-run seems to start command too early

Yannick Schinko y.schinko at connectingmedia.de
Mon Nov 4 14:25:43 UTC 2019

When using xvfb-run (1.19.2-1+deb9u5) to run gource headless I run into the issue that the underlying server does not seem to be ready in time a good 75+% of cases.
In those cases gource complains:
gource: SDL initialization failed - Couldn't find matching GLX visual

Now this suspicion is amplified because when I run it as "xvfb-run <args...> bash -c "sleep 1; gource <args...>" it works every time.

Is there some way to work around this issue other than having a sleep before the gource command (which would make working with some scripts a pain)?
Is this a bug and needs to be reported? Maybe even fixed in the latest version.

Some input on that would be much apprechiated.

Kind regards,
Yannick Schinko