[ANNOUNCE] libXt 1.2.0

walter harms wharms at bfs.de
Sat Jun 22 09:10:32 UTC 2019

Am 22.06.2019 02:11, schrieb Alan Coopersmith:
> On 6/21/19 4:54 PM, Chris Sorenson wrote:
>> Thanks for your work on this guys, those of us who still depend
>> professionally on Xt and Motif really appreciate it!
>>
>> Now, can you please remove "Xt is a similarly deprecated library for
>> building toolkits" from the wiki at x dot org? This work, and since
>> Motif is still supported (sort of; not a real fan of ICS these days)
>> are obvious proof that Xt is not deprecated.
>
> While we still maintain libXt for existing applications, we do not
> recommend
> its use for writing new software today, which is why is is described as
> such
> on https://www.x.org/wiki/Documentation/
>
> Someone writing a new application today would be much better served with a
> modern toolkit with support for a much wider range of internationalization
> support, input methods, accessibility helper technology, modern graphics
> APIs
> and GPU hardware, etc. - you'll end up with an application far more people
> can use and which far more people want to use.

I my use case remote is king, i18n is less so. Most modern toolkit are terrible
when used remote (QT got better last years).

But we should not overreact to what Thomas Dickey and I did the last months. In my
eyes this is a maintenance release, a lot of work, less warnings etc. but not a
single new function that solve any current problem.

re,
 wh