[ANNOUNCE] libXt 1.2.0

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Sat Jun 22 00:11:57 UTC 2019

On 6/21/19 4:54 PM, Chris Sorenson wrote:
> Thanks for your work on this guys, those of us who still depend professionally
> on Xt and Motif really appreciate it!
>
> Now, can you please remove "Xt is a similarly deprecated library for building
> toolkits" from the wiki at x dot org? This work, and since Motif is still
> supported (sort of; not a real fan of ICS these days) are obvious proof that Xt
> is not deprecated.

While we still maintain libXt for existing applications, we do not recommend
its use for writing new software today, which is why is is described as such
on https://www.x.org/wiki/Documentation/

Someone writing a new application today would be much better served with a
modern toolkit with support for a much wider range of internationalization
support, input methods, accessibility helper technology, modern graphics APIs
and GPU hardware, etc. - you'll end up with an application far more people
can use and which far more people want to use.

	-Alan Coopersmith-               alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
	 Oracle Solaris Engineering - https://blogs.oracle.com/alanc