'Fatal server error:no screens found' message

Andrew Kurn kurn at sfu.ca
Fri Jul 19 19:16:44 UTC 2019

Dear Mr. Linden,

I could not send you a message privately. I hope you will
receive this.

Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 16:08:23 +0200
From: "linden at bluewin.ch" <linden at bluewin.ch>

If you would be so kind as to clarify:

On Thu 18 Jul 2019 16:08 +0200, linden at bluewin.ch wrote:

> Dear Sirs,
>     When starting startx from a terminal of my remote Ubuntu 18.04 server (using a Virtual Private Server (VPS)), I receive the above mentioned error message (Fatal server error: no screens found), followed by
>
>     (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.

What I expect you to say is that you are starting an X server /on
your terminal/, which will then give display services to the VPS.
Your statement above seems to say it backwards.  Could this be
the problem?

An X server runs on the machine with the display, not on the machine
which has community files ("file server" or "server" for short).
Theoretically, X can show windows from remote machines on the local
machine, as you might do if you run Firefox remotely.

If I misunderstand the situation, please correct me.

Andrew