'Fatal server error:no screens found' message

linden at bluewin.ch linden at bluewin.ch
Thu Jul 18 14:08:23 UTC 2019

Dear Sirs,
    When starting startx from a terminal of my remote Ubuntu 18.04 server (using a Virtual Private Server (VPS)), I receive the above mentioned error message (Fatal server error: no screens found), followed by

    (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
      xinit: giving up
      xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
      xinit: server error
     Unfortunately, I cannot send you the Xorg.1.log file from the /var/log directory, as I also have a connection problem with the network (e.g., Firefox
 will not start, or will start only very slowly and then crash). This problem seems
related to an unspecified display environment variable on the remote
machine. The command echo $DISPLAY doesn't give any result. Could both problems be linked?
I would very much appreciate your kindly helping resolving this issue.
Thank you and with my best regards in the meantime,
André Linden