XOrg in Debian10/Buster not usable with AMD Duron / Matrox G400

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Fri Jul 19 17:53:02 UTC 2019

On Thu, 2019-07-18 at 11:11 +0200, Markus Hiereth wrote:
> Hello Adam,
>
> Adam Jackson <ajax at redhat.com> schrieb am 17. Juli 2019 um 17:06
>
> > Try this again, but invoke the server as 'Xorg -verbose' so we can see
> > the complete set of messages being printed.
>
> I made some more tests but I am not able to identify what log entries
> are decisive. Therefore complete logfiles attached here.
>
> What I tried to find out is whether the X-server starts after creating
> the MTRR storage areas using a bash command echo "base=.." >|
> /proc/mtrr. It is not the case. But it reduces the number of error
> messages. Thus, probably two mtrr storage areas are involved. I also
> wonder about the meaning of the output for "count".

Hmph. The log shows the server mostly initializing correctly, and
doesn't give the details about the location of the crash I was hoping
for. I don't expect the MTRR setup failures are what's fatal here
though.

If you have a second machine, can you try to launch Xorg from gdb? You
will need to ssh into the machine and su to root first, but gdb is
generally much better at decoding backtraces than either glibc's
backtrace function or libunwind. It should be just:

# gdb /usr/libexec/Xorg
Reading symbols from /usr/libexec/Xorg...
(No debugging symbols found in /usr/libexec/Xorg)
Missing separate debuginfos, use: dnf debuginfo-install xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.20.4-3.fc30.x86_64
(gdb) run -verbose
(gdb) bt f

Debian might install it to /usr/bin/Xorg instead, and if you get a
message like the above about installing debugging symbols, quit gdb and
install those first.

- ajax