fbdev and vesa for hyper-v

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Mon Feb 25 17:06:12 UTC 2019

On Mon, 2019-02-25 at 18:33 +0300, IL Ka wrote:

> I run Linux as Hyper-V guest.
>
> It seems that there is no DRI/DRM driver for Hyper-V videocard, but
> there is Framebuffer driver for it.
>
> So, I enabled framebuffer driver and my idea was to run XOrg using
> fbdev driver on top of it.
> But there is no such driver in modern Linux distros.

Could have fooled me. I see fbdev driver builds in current versions of
Arch, Debian, Fedora, Gentoo, and openSUSE. What distro are you using
that lacks it?

> Question #1) Is it true that fbdev is deprecated and removed in
> favour of DRM/DRI?

Generally people would prefer that new video drivers use the drm driver
infrastructure and not fbdev. In that sense fbdev is "deprecated", but
not "removed", it's still there and works as well as it ever did.

> Can I still compile it by my self? Is it worth doing in my case?

You can, but again, I bet your distro has it built already.

- ajax