XOrg in Debian10/Buster not usable with AMD Duron / Matrox G400

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 11 21:48:14 UTC 2019

Markus Hiereth composed on 2019-08-11 22:05 (UTC+0200):
I was able to replicate the (EE) tail of your attached log via an
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file containing the following:

	Section "Monitor
		DefaultDepth	16
	EndSection

Commenting away DefaultDepth restored normal X operation.

I suggest removing any similar line you find anywhere in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/*,
and if that alone is insufficient, then remove /etc/X11/xorg.conf if it exists,
and all files in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ that contain any of the following lines:

	Section "Device"
	Section "Monitor"
	Section "Screen"

whatever their filenames may be, then try.

If it still doesn't work, add the attached /etc/X11/xorg.conf verified working
here. Try it as-is first. It may need HorizSync and VertRefresh adjusted to match
your display. X is smart enough to auto-generate suitable modelines given
appropriate HorizSync and Vertrefresh.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/