forum for Motif, XLib, etc. programming enthusiasts?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Oct 24 22:43:55 UTC 2017

Alan Corey <alan01346 at gmail.com> writes:

> Maybe Java Swing then it's portable.  I was enjoying the retro aspect
> though.

I've been using Swing for a couple of years now for GUI application
development. It definitely feels 'retro' in a lot of ways -- Java is
well on its way to being the successor to Cobol and Swing reminds me way
more of Motif/Xt than Gtk+ or Qt as it's all about constructing dialog
boxes out of (frankly terrible) geometry management abstractions.

Unlike Motif/Xt, Gtk+ or Qt, the API along with the whole toolkit
implementation is expressed using the programming language itself, so I
don't feel like I'm using several languages at the same time.

An unexpected bonus feature about using Java is that the core
application logic runs on Android as well.

--
-keith