Stuck on Config Setup with IBM x3650 and CentOS7

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Fri Oct 20 16:28:08 UTC 2017

On Tue, 2017-10-17 at 10:36 -0500, Benjammin2068 wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I've been playing with an old x3650 and although video has been a
> little spotty, I thought it worked itself out.
>
> The server has a Radeon graphics on board (see included Xorg.0.log)
> with VGA to the back panel and the DVI apparently goes to the RSA
> (remote access) host so it can be digitized and presented remotely.
>
> Yesterday I had an unplanned power outage (batteries in UPS died
> during outage) -- now the local video doesn't seem to boot up anymore
> (no Gnome Desktop).

The log given here shows X starting up normally, and several clients
connecting, so whatever the problem is here it probably isn't X. From
runlevel 3 you can start the X server manually with 'X -retro' to see
if the classic root weave "test pattern" works. If it does work, then
something in the Gnome session is failing to initialize properly; if it
doesn't work then the power outage may have fried the video card.

- ajax