maybe xorg server?: gnome is not starting without a screen connected?

Eric Gunther egunther at warwick.net
Sat Mar 11 21:23:31 UTC 2017

On Sat, 2017-03-11 at 20:26 +0100, Simon Eigeldinger wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> I understood before as well.
> I tested Fedora, Ubuntu Gnome, OpenSUSE, Paldo, Debian Testing,
> Manjaro
> and some more i can't remember at the moment.
>
> Though i don't understand why the system should stop booting without
> screen connected. Because a half booted machine doesn't make sense.
>
> Screen auto detection isn't a bad thing but not booting is as well.
>
> Greetings,
> Simon
>

> Am 11.03.2017 um 19:44 schrieb Eric Gunther:
> > On Sat, 2017-03-11 at 19:11 +0100, Simon Eigeldinger wrote:
> > > Hi Eric and all,
> > >
> > > I guess we need to get that implemented into the server itself.
> > > Because contacting all the distros might be to difficult. that
> > > might
> > > be
> > > a workaround but i think we need to get that fixed.
> > >
> > > Greetings,
> > > Simon

> > Hi Simon,
> >

> > I think you may have misunderstood.  The proper (As far as I know)
> > way
> > to set up when having dificulties is with the configuration files.
> >  As
> > far as contacting all the distros, I was going to ask;  which
> > liveDVD
> > are you trying to run?  In any event I was saying that you should
> > probably talk to the maintainer/support/community of that* distro.
> >  Also I think it is unlikely, but probably not impossible, to issue
> > parameters at boot that will assist you.
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Eric Gunther

Hi Simon,

I am a desktop opensuse user and I believe they have a very supportive
community, I'm not involved but that has been my impression.

a quick search led me here:
https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2009-11/msg00383.html

which I think is related.

furthermore this may help:

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Communication_channels

Honestly, I think its a bit quirky that a system wont work without a
monitor but I have to point out initially you said that it would not
get to the desktop.  So it is booting fine presumably.  The command
line interface is usefull for many tasks.

Since you mention screen auto detection, I have seen mention of saving
a file with EDID info in it.

another quick search and take this for example:

 http://kodi.wiki/view/Creating_and_using_edid.bin_via_xorg.conf

All of this though requires some sort of configuration, either from the
command line or from a text editor ( I think ).  As I mentioned before
the common case is that people will login to a headless machine via
ssh.  This can come with additional difficulties.

"half a booted machine doesn't make sense"

Thing is that your computer is telling you the same thing.

"that might be a workaround but i think we need to get that fixed."

You may have some luck at this mailing list or other xorg mailing lists
as well, I really don't know.  From my end though, this is not
something I am capable of.

here may help: