Question about X on the arm's.

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon Nov 28 22:03:17 UTC 2016

On Monday 28 November 2016 13:12:03 Alan Coopersmith wrote:

> On 11/27/16 04:29 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Okay Alan, I've had 3 or 4 folks over the last 36 hours claim that X
> > is its own forwarding agent, why am I even using ssh? saying I'm not
> > needing ssh at all.
>
> X can connect directly, but without the encryption & compression that
> ssh adds when it acts as the forwarding agent.  ssh has been the
> modern recommended solution for years - all major distros have started
> X with "-nolisten tcp" for over a decade, and recent versions of Xorg
> made that the default, such that you need to go specify "-listen tcp"
> to enable the old direct TCP connection method now if you want to
> avoid ssh.
>
> > So, where can I find the definitive tut on doing this because our
> > attempts are failing?  What I was able to find on the xorg web pages
> > last night was up to 3 major versions out of date.  I need a tut
> > that deals with X11R7 and up.  Is there such a thing?  My google-fu
> > is failing me.
>
> Our recommendation for X11R7 remote connections is "Use SSH X11
> Forwarding."

Which works but at very lethargic speeds. 3, 4 frames a second.  I need
20 or more. This odroid64, with at least 3 gpu's is said to be able to
do a 4k display at 60 frames a second.

> Unfortunately, so few people are willing to help write X11 docs that
> there isn't a whole lot of stuff written since the X Consortium
> stopped paying doc writers in the mid 90's.

Yikes! NDW I cannot find uptodate docs & tuts.

Thanks Alan, I appreciate the candor.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)