Question about X on the arm's.

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Mon Nov 28 18:12:03 UTC 2016

On 11/27/16 04:29 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Okay Alan, I've had 3 or 4 folks over the last 36 hours claim that X is
> its own forwarding agent, why am I even using ssh? saying I'm not
> needing ssh at all.

X can connect directly, but without the encryption & compression that ssh
adds when it acts as the forwarding agent.  ssh has been the modern
recommended solution for years - all major distros have started X with
"-nolisten tcp" for over a decade, and recent versions of Xorg made that
the default, such that you need to go specify "-listen tcp" to enable the
old direct TCP connection method now if you want to avoid ssh.

> So, where can I find the definitive tut on doing this because our
> attempts are failing?  What I was able to find on the xorg web pages
> last night was up to 3 major versions out of date.  I need a tut that
> deals with X11R7 and up.  Is there such a thing?  My google-fu is
> failing me.

Our recommendation for X11R7 remote connections is "Use SSH X11 Forwarding."

Unfortunately, so few people are willing to help write X11 docs that
there isn't a whole lot of stuff written since the X Consortium stopped
paying doc writers in the mid 90's.

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com