Remote OpenGL -- getting it to work?

L. A. Walsh freedesktop at tlinx.org
Tue May 31 15:33:14 UTC 2016

Glynn Clements wrote:
> L. A. Walsh wrote:
>

>> I have sometimes gotten some GLX programs to work for a short while,
>> but more often than not, I don't get them to work at all.
>>

> The most likely reason for this is that the program needs a later
> version of OpenGL than Cygwin's X server provides.

----
    Hmmm....what does this mean, then?
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 590/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 1.4 (4.5.0 NVIDIA 355.98)
---
    That's the OpenGL version that comes with graphics card
driver on the X-server -- i.e. Nvidia provides upgraded versions
of openGL for my OS.  I thought the X-server provided a pass-through
for the openGL protocol?

>> I'm not sure where to look for how to configure it to be allowed,
>>

> No configuration is required.
>

>> but on the client end, it doesn't seem to ever want to load swrast.
>>

> swrast isn't relevant for indirect rendering. The fact that libGL even
> attempts to load it when $DISPLAY refers to a remote server is less
> than desirable, but ultimately doesn't matter.

What should it load instead?   Isn't openGL handled by the server's
graphics hardware?  The swrast load is happening on the client, which
doesn't have graphics HW -- so I thought it would or should send it's
graphics commands to the remote server to be executed?