Remote OpenGL

Cook, Rich cook47 at llnl.gov
Fri May 27 21:45:37 UTC 2016

Thanks for the pointer to the actual change.
The commit message there also says, wrongly, "Almost every situation of someone running indirect GLX is a mistake that results in X Server crashes.  Indirect GLX is the cause of regular security vulnerabilities, and rarely provides any capability to the user. "
The vulnerabilities are a real concern.  However, the attitude that it "rarely provides any capability" is the thing that alarms me because it's so obviously incorrect, and it is this that I'm trying to make clear -- we use it all the time here and there are many places like us around the world doing so.  Large linux clusters are actually quite common for scientific applications and running OpenGL applications on those clusters to do remote work is also quite common.
I'm glad IGLX is not going away, but still concerned that either I'm misunderstanding or that the developers of XOrg are missing this important use case in their analyses.
Thanks
-- Rich

--
✐Richard Cook
✇ Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory