Remote OpenGL

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at freedesktop.org
Fri May 27 08:53:10 UTC 2016

> On May 26, 2016, at 15:56, Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 2016-05-26 at 09:14 +0200, Laurent Lamalle wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have just discovered, through the x11-users at lists.apple.com mailing
>> list, that Xorg deprecated some software component (IGLX?) necessary for
>> remote OpenGL viewing.
>
> As I just said:
>
> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2016-May/058072.html
>
> Another awkward thing about this, I suppose, is that on OSX the X server
> is started implicitly on demand and there's no reasonable way to configure
> things like command line options.

Most of those are configured via defaults options rather than command line arguments as done through Xorg.

> And, that there's no direct rendering
> support to be had on OSX.

Actually, there is.  It's just not DRI nor DRI2.

> So we could probably reasonably change those
> defaults for that platform, since the opportunity for privilege escalation
> is lower as X11.app runs unprivileged.

Yeah, this should probably be controlled by a defaults option either as part of startx or in the server startup itself.

FWIW, the XQuartz DDX should really die.  The right approach is to continue the XtoQ.app approach based on libxcwm and the Xorg DDX, but unfortunately, that work is still sitting at 90% complete.

--Jeremy