Remote OpenGL

Cook, Rich cook47 at llnl.gov
Fri May 27 18:20:53 UTC 2016

I'm glad to hear that one of the core X server maintainer is saying that it is not going "completely" away.  Also that he is adding an xorg.conf option to enable IGLX.  Great news!  We can rest easier.  I could not for the life of me understand how this could be removed, but that was the information I got.  I'm glad to be wrong.
I want to just reiterate how important a feature IGLX is.  Regarding the exploitable bugs, can anyone mention or point to a couple?
Thanks
-- Rich

> On May 27, 2016, at 11:06 AM, Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith at oracle.com> wrote:
>
> You do know that Adam is one of the core X server maintainers, right?
> If he says you're wrong, then I believe him and you should too.  (Though
> the mail he points to says you're only half wrong - yes it is disabled by
> default today, but no, we've not announced any plans to make it completely
> go away.)
>
> 	-alan-
>
> On 05/26/16 04:43 PM, Cook, Rich wrote:
>> The point here is that today it is being *disabled* and in the future it is completely *going away.*  Anyone care to argue with that?  I'd love to be wrong about it.

>>> As I just said:
>>>
>>> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2016-May/058072.html
>>>
>>> Another awkward thing about this, I suppose, is that on OSX the X server
>>> is started implicitly on demand and there's no reasonable way to configure
>>> things like command line options. And, that there's no direct rendering
>>> support to be had on OSX. So we could probably reasonably change those
>>> defaults for that platform, since the opportunity for privilege escalation
>>> is lower as X11.app runs unprivileged.
>>>
>>> - ajax

✐Richard Cook
✇ Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Bldg-453 Rm-4024, Mail Stop L-557
7000 East Avenue,  Livermore, CA, 94550, USA
☎ (office) (925) 423-9605
☎ (fax) (925) 423-6961
---
Information Management & Graphics Grp., Services & Development Div., Integrated Computing & Communications Dept.
(opinions expressed herein are mine and not those of LLNL)