Disabling kernel dirty updates, not required.

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Mon Jun 27 09:37:24 UTC 2016

Diogo Moitinho de Almeida write:
> I've been having an issue with Xorg and virtualboxes: Xorg suddenly
 > becomes
 > incredibly unresponsive. Some observations from my own debugging:
 > 1. the Xorg log always has the message "Disabling kernel dirty
updates, not
 > required." after this starts happening
 > 2. killing Xorg and restarting it sometimes solves the issue and other
 > times causes the entire virtualbox to not work
 > 3. delays of 10+ seconds for even the simplest things (typing in a
terminal
 > takes is unresponsive, but ssh-ing into the virtualbox is as
responsive as
 > normal)
 > 4. the mouse cursor moves responsively, and also updates properly
based on
 > what it is supposed to be on top of despite the screen not reflecting
 > that
 > 5. I've tried different host operating systems (OSX 10.10, OSX 10.11),
 > guest operating systems (Archlinux, Ubuntu 16.04), window managers
 > (awesome, xmonad)
 > 6. it is only sometimes reproducible
 > 7. Xorg server is version 1.18.3

I am not subscribed to this list (only to xorg-devel), so I hope this
will go through.  Please see VirtualBox ticket #15511<1>.  I believe
this is an Xorg problem and have analysed it on that ticket.

Regards,

Michael

<1> https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/15511
--
Michael Thayer | VirtualBox engineer
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | D-71384 Weinstadt

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstraße 25, D-80992 München

Hertogswetering 163/167, 3543 AS Utrecht, Niederlande Handelsregister
der Handelskammer Midden-Nederland, Nr. 30143697