Xdmx startup error: CreateWindow colormap BadMatch

Marcus Cobden (mcobden) mcobden at cisco.com
Thu Jun 23 14:29:03 UTC 2016

Hi all,
Does anyone have any recent experience with Xdmx? I'm trying to get it running but I hit errors immediately on startup.

(**) dmx: dmxErrorHandler: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
(**) dmx:                  Major opcode: 1 (X_CreateWindow)
(**) dmx:                  ResourceID:   0x600049
(**) dmx:                  Failed serial number:  169
(**) dmx:                  Current serial number: 184

I did a bit of digging into the communication with the remote X process through wireshark; the ResourceID corresponds to a colormap in the CreateWindow message.
If I look further back, it also corresponds to an attribute in a CreateColormap message.

I've tried searching for how other people have got it running, but haven't found anything published in the last few years.

The full log is here: http://pastebin.com/rNPwk3Rc
I'm running it with these args: Xdmx :1 -configfile xdmx.conf -config test3 -ignorebadfontpaths -input local
The config entry is this:
virtual test3 {
               display "10.50.155.227:0" ;
}

Any pointers on how to get it going would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Marcus