display/GFX issue with Ubuntu 16.04 not seen in 14.04

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Fri Aug 26 11:37:21 UTC 2016

On 08/24/2016 07:16 AM, Jim Abernathy wrote:

> On 08/23/2016 10:33 AM, Christopher Barry wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Aug 2016 06:53:13 -0400
>> Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at outlook.com> wrote:

>>> Can someone let me know where I can ask questions regarding problems
>>> with X??  I thought this forum would be the place?
>>>
>>> Jim A
>>>
>> Jim,
>>
>>  From the data above, I do not think it's possible to troubleshoot very
>> effectively. It also seems like (to me anyway) that you have a fairly
>> non-standard kind of configuration going on.
>>
>> If I understand it, you have a media-center type PC with an integrated
>> Intel graphics card on an core i5 processor. Using an HDMI cable, you're
>> plugging into an Onkyo A/V receiver (you do not mention the model),
>> which in turn connects to a Sony KDL-XBR6 LCD TV.
>>
>> What happens when you connect your PC to a the Sony directly or to
>> a normal PC LCD monitor? Does that work?
>>
>> Are you using an xorg configuration file, or are you allowing automatic
>> setup via kernel mode switching? If you a have config file(s), what
>> happens when you move them out of the way temporarily and allow
>> automatic config?
> I'm using automatic setup on install. I played with the concept of
> creating an xorg.conf file. It's not as easy as it used to be.  I
> tried without success to create an entry with a modeline statement but
> it messed things up so I abandoned that path of debug.
>> What's in your /var/log/Xorg.0.log?
> I'll post the Xorg log later when I'm back at that PC.  I looked at it
> to confirm no errors and which xorg configuration file it was using.
> I'll post one from my test system that has nothing but 16.04 installed
> plus current updates.

After the previous test I did and posted the log and dmesg I got an
update from Ubuntu for the xserver intel driver. After installing and
rebooting, I find that while I still have some problems, they are
reduced.  I can go for 5-10 minutes before a blank screen and the
horizontal line noise is reduced but not gone.

Jim A