unclutter again

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Oct 14 06:55:14 PDT 2015

Greetings;

I had unclutter setup
-idle .1 -reset

But that was too quick a hide for email since I have a folder or 2 that
when advancing into, display the spinning dumbell while it finding the
new message to show me.  And even on this machine I may spin for 15 or
more seconds as theres quite a few gigabytes of mail files in that
directory.

So I though it would be useful to reset the idle time to 30 seconds.  I
made that change in /etc/default/unclutter, but X doesn't seem to have a
restart mechanism like the stuff in init.d does, as its normally started
as 90unclutter in /etc/X11/Xsession.d.
So I sent it a SIGHUP, which killed it rather than causing it to re-read
its config, effectively restarting it.

So I started it by hand with a sudo prefix and an & terminator.  htop
shows both the "sudo unclutter -idle 30 -reset", and the
"unclutter -idle 30 -reset"
processes running, but its not even working for that terminal screen.

Sending the sudo version a SIGTERM kills both.

Because X is very poor at remembering what I have running and what screen
its running on, a logout, and log back in, it is about a 10 minute
process to get back to the everything running in the correct workspace.
I have to not only figure out the mishmash of multitab terminals it
reopens on whatever workspace I am on by the time it gets around to
restoring them. This includes the time spent moving that terminal to the
workspace it belongs in, restarting a sudo htop, sudo tail messages,
another tail on fetchmails log, switch to workspace 2 and initilize 3
sessions of sshfs and 3 sessions of ssh-Y to my other machines, starting
kmail on this workspace, and an incoming mailwatcher script that tells
kmail to go get the mail after a new mail has been written
to /var/spool/mail.

Very occasionally it will restart kmail too, but probably piled up on
workspace 1 with the rest of the terminal sessions.

So how can one effectively restart a process normally started by a file
in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/90unclutter?

Thank you.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)