fresh install Kubuntu 14.04 (15.10 same problem) XServer never starts

Christopher Barry christopher.barry at earborg.com
Sat Nov 7 12:46:14 PST 2015

On Sat, 7 Nov 2015 20:59:52 +0100
Gregor Leskovšek <legrega at gmail.com> wrote:

>Dear Christopher,
>it seems that packages that Kubuntu installed for Radeon are in
>conflict with innate GPU in the motherboard.
>Do You think there is a way that I use this Radeon with this server?
>Any other ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks, Gregor

Seems like you have an unworkable pkg combination somehow. Not being
there, it's difficult for me to say what would be the best way forward
for you, given the data I have. However, generally speaking, try to
simplify as much as possible. If getting your webserver back up and
running on this server is paramount, you should be able to do that from
the Linux console. Once that's up, and people are off your back, you can
focus on getting the GUI up and running with a lot less stress. Most
sysadmin do not even install X on webservers - it's not needed at all
and is just overhead.

For us to help better, what exactly are you trying to do? You have done
at least two complete reinstalls of two versions of the operating system
on this server.

Was all of this running before at some point on this server? If so, what
Linux distro/version was running on this server?

-C